In the summer of 1914, the world was shocked as Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in the streets of Sarajevo. In response, an enraged Austro-Hungarian Empire declared war on the tiny nation of Serbia, which caused a complex web of alliances across Europe to be triggered. With Russia entering the conflict, the Austro-Hungarians drew up hasty plans for an invasion intent on knocking "little Serbia" out of the war quickly so they would be able to transfer forces to counter the Russian advance on the Eastern Front. However, the first invasion of Serbia would fail miserably, followed by a second invasion that ground to a halt, and then a third invasion that, with victory seemingly within grasp, would also end in a humiliating defeat for the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Those three defeats would pave the way for a German intervention which would finally see the total conquest of Serbia a year later. The little known Serbian campaigns would serve as inspiration to the allies as Serbia defied all odds and stood against the might of the Central Powers.
28 stand alone scenarios, 4 campaigns to choose from, as well as 4 "Grand Campaign" scenarios designed to play with France '14 and East Prussia '14. Battles include:
- Mount Cer
- Syrmia Offensive
- Macva Peninsula
- Mount Jagodnja
- Serbian offensive in Bosnia
- Mackov Kamen
- Drina Stalemate
- Romanja Planina
- Kolubara (the full battle, as well as separate A-H and Serb offensive phase scenario)
- 1st Beograd
- 2nd Beograd (1915)
- Pozarevac (1915)
- Timok (1915)
- Bulgarian invasion of Macedonia (1915)
- Krivolak (1915)
- Kragujevac (1915)
- Kosturino (1915)
Campaign scenarios consist of:
- The 1st Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia (102 turns)
- The 2nd Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia, which includes a simultaneous Serbian invasion of Syrmia (131 turns)
- The 3rd Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia (319 turns)
- The massive 4th Austro-Hungarian and German invasion of Serbia (389 turns), which includes forces from Austro-Hungarian, German and Bulgarian forces against Serbian, Montenegrin, Russian, British and French forces.
- A bonus small campaign/large battle scenario covering the ill fated Serbian invasion of Bosnia to "liberate" Sarajevo, which occurred between 2nd and 3rd Austro-Hungarian invasions of Serbia (278 turns)
- Three Grand Campaign scenarios designed to be played along with Grand Campaigns scenarios for France '14 and East Prussia '14, which are intended to establish context and allow the player influence the outcome of the war across many different scenarios (102 to 389 turns)
Game features include:
- Game scale is 1 hex = 1 km, 1 turn = 2 hours, with battalion and company size units.
- Scenario Editor allows players to customize the game and create new scenarios.
- Sub-map feature allows the main map to be "chopped" up into smaller segments for custom scenario creation.
- Multiple play options including play against the computer AI, Play by E-mail (PBEM), LAN & Internet "live" play, and two player hot seat.
- Game engine changes that model the Montenegrin Army's irregular soldiers, Austro-Hungarian mountain troops, expiring objectives that put pressure on the attacker and allow the defender to fight a delaying action, river boats and monitors, and many other improvements.
- A highly detailed Order of Battle, where the ethnic composition of every regiment in the Austro-Hungarian Army was researched to determine their unit quality.
Here are some files from the game:
- Designer Notes (PDF file)
- Planning Map - 1st Invasion (PDF file)
- Planning Map - 2nd Invasion (PDF file)
- Planning Map - 3rd Invasion (PDF file)
- Planning Map - 4th Invasion (PDF file)
- Planning Map - Bosnia (PDF file)
- Research, Scenario Design, Order of Battle Design, and Playtest Coordination: Ed Williams
- Map Design: Ed Williams
- Playtesters: Rick Bancroft, John Egan, Darran Fowler, Kevin Hankins, Tom Quinn
Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
Serbia '14 is available for sale at the John Tiller Software Store.