East Prussia '14
East Prussia '14 is the 2014 Grogheads Digital Strategy / Historical Game and overall Digital Game of the Year!
In the middle of August 1914, the world's attention was focused directly on the Western Front where German armies were sweeping into Belgium and France. On the Eastern Front however, the Russians were on the offensive into East Prussia, an important agricultural region of the Prussian homeland, and the gateway to Berlin. The Russians planned a two pronged invasion into East Prussia: one army approaching from the Niemen River to the east and one army approaching from the Narew River to the south, both aimed at outflanking German forces located therein, and the eventual capture of the strategic city of Königsberg. In their way stood a single German army, two resolute commanders, and a well developed rail network. By the time the campaign was over both Russian armies would be almost completely destroyed and thrown out of East Prussia and the campaign itself would go on to become one of the most studied and celebrated victories in warfare.
20 stand alone scenarios, 4 campaigns to choose from, as well as 3 "Grand Campaign" scenarios designed to play with France '14. Battles include:
- Gross Gardienen
- 1st Masurian Lakes
- Lodz (breakout)
- Lodz (withdrawal)
- 2nd Masurian Lakes (1915)
Campaign scenarios consist of:
- The Russian invasion of East Prussia up to the end of the 1st Battle of the Masurian Lakes (206 turns)
- Two different hypothetical variants of the Russian invasion of East Prussia (206 turns each)
- The German invasion of Poland in their attempt to capture Lodz and thwart the Russian advance into Silesia (187 turns)
- A bonus small campaign/large battle scenario covering the German winter offensive of the 1915 2nd Battle of the Masurian Lakes, in which they intended to cut off and destroy the Russian 10th Army (118 turns)
- Three Grand Campaign scenarios designed to be played with newly released Grand Campaigns scenarios for France '14, which are intended to establish context and allow the player influence the outcome of the war across many different scenarios (118 to 206 turns)
Game features include:
- Game scale is 1 hex = 1 km, 1 turn = 2 hours, with battalion and company size units.
- Scenario Editor allows players to customize the game and create new scenarios.
- Sub-map feature allows the main map to be "chopped" up into smaller segments for custom scenario creation.
- Multiple play options including play against the computer AI, Play by E-mail (PBEM), LAN & Internet "live" play, and two player hot seat.
Here are some files from the game:
- Designer Notes (PDF file)
- Planning Map - 2nd Masurian Lakes (PDF file)
- Planning Map - Lodz (PDF file)
- Planning Map - East Prussia (PDF file)
- Research, Scenario Design, Order of Battle Design, and Playtest Coordination: Ed Williams
- Map Design: Dave "Blackie" Blackburn
- Order of Battle Assistance: Mike Avanzini
- Playtesters: Rick Bancroft, Greg Colman, John Egan, Darran Fowler, Kevin Hankins, Tom Quinn
Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
East Prussia '14 is available for sale at the John Tiller Software Store.