For 105 days, the tiny nation of Finland fought a war that typically merits only a footnote history books, or a passing remark in a WWII documentaries. Taking on the vast manpower of the Soviet army, the Finns put up a fanatical defense of their homeland, inflicting horrific casualties on the invading Soviet army. In the end, the overwhelming number of Soviet troops and tanks sent into Finland forced the Finns to sue for peace, but they walked away from the conflict with their much bigger neighbor with their independence and national pride intact. Their struggle influenced the landscape and direction of the entire World War that followed--and perhaps the outcome as well. Winter War is a tactical level simulation of this conflict using the Squad Battles system.
- 58 stand alone scenarios
- 3 campaigns
- Includes scenarios on the "Continuation War" of 1941
- 24 unique maps ranging in size from 1000 hexes to 38,000 hexes
Note: The game includes an electronic copy of the book "The White Death" by William Trotter on the Russo-Finnish War 1939-1940.
- Players control squads or fire teams of men, individual leaders and individual vehicles in a variety of conditions.
- Based on a tried and true turn-based platform using 40 meter hexes and an intuitive interface allowing players to use a combination of mouse clicks, menu commands and hot keys to control their units.
- Views are in two levels of 2D
- Supports play against the computer AI as well as two-player Play-By-E-Mail.
Here are some files from the game (PDF Files):
- Game Coordinator: Rich Hamilton
- Scenario Maps: Dave "Blackie" Blackburn
- Orders of Battle: Frank "Echo 4" Harmon, Ozgur Budak
- Scenario Designers: Ozgur Budak, Frank "Echo 4" Harmon
- Book: The White Death, William Trotter
- Playtesters: Dennis Suttman, Bob Bannerman, Phil Driscoll, Jason Lewandowski, Alan Florjancic, Nik Butler, Jeff Conner, Ucar Gundem, Atle Jenssen
- Historical Background Documentation: Alan Florjancic
- Special Thanks: Set Karlsson - Translation support and research.
System RequirementsWindows Vista, 7, 8, or 10
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
Winter War is available for sale at the John Tiller Software Store.