Rzhev '42 Gold
In late September 1942, all eyes were focus on the titanic struggle taking place at Stalingrad. Stalin, Zhukov, and the STAVKA met to plan the upcoming winter operations. Zhukov convinced everyone that the Red Army had amassed enough strategic reserves to conduct two major counteroffensives. Here at the Rzhev salient Zhukov planned the second, lesser known strike. Operation Mars was meant to destroy the German 9th Army. As the Soviet player, can you to do what Zhukov could not accomplish - eliminate the German threat on Moscow and pinch off the Rzhev salient? Or as the German player, can you halt and defeat the massive Soviet armies that threaten your entire Army Group Center?
- 29 historically based scenarios are included, with several "what-if" scenarios.
- Several grand historical scenarios with the complete campaign lasting 200 turns.
- A master map measuring approximately 180 by 200 kilometers.
- Over 3,500 units represent the German and Soviet forces.
Game features include:
- Game scale is 1 hex = 1 km, 1 turn = 2 hours, with battalion and company size units.
- Order-of-Battle and Scenario Editors which allow players to customize the game.
- Sub-map feature allows the main map to be "chopped" up into smaller segments for custom scenario creation.
- Multiple play options including play against the computer AI, Play by E-mail (PBEM), LAN & Internet "live" play, and two player hot seat.
New Gold features include:
- An additional 29 new scenarios. These are all new using the McNamara system pioneered by Ed ‘Volcano Man’ William’s Alternate mods. Ed never released an Alt Mod for Rzhev ’42 – this is now rectified in the Gold release. These scenarios include both historical and hypothetical situations.
- All new game graphics including terrain, in game counters and 2D & 3D units as well as the toolbar icons.
- All new sounds.
- Game enhancements include revised disruption movement and reinforcement ‘place all’ function from the First World War Campaign series.
Here are some files from the game:
- Designer Notes (PDF file)
- Scenario Design: Mike Avanzini and Ed “Volcano Man” Williams
- Project Coordinator: Glenn Saunders
- Additional Research: Glenn Saunders and Dave Blackburn
- Playtesters: Panzergruppe Saunders
- Additional Graphics: Adam Parker
- Special Thanks: David Glantz, for his article on Operation Mars in the Campaign Notes.
- Gold Release: David Freer with Wargame Design Studio
System RequirementsWindows Vista, 7, 8, or 10
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
This wargame is for sale at The John Tiller Software Store