Kursk '43 Gold
It's the summer of 1943 and the line has stabilized with a huge bulge in the lines. Hitler can't resist one more drive, one more push to pinch off a bulge and capture a mass of soviets troops in another pocket, like in the early years of the war. But the Russians knew that script, they knew where the Germans would strike, and they waited. Hitler wanted his new "superweapons", the Panther and the Elefant, to debut here. Consequently, the start date of early May was pushed back, and then further back, until it ended up in July. During all this time the Russians dug in, deeper and deeper, on both shoulders of the salient. By the time the attack started, there were seven defensive lines, including dug-in anti-tank strongpoints, anti-tank ditches, and millions of mines had been laid. This was to be the biggest battle of the war, if not in all of time.
- 18 historically based scenarios are included, with several "what-if" scenarios.
- Several grand historical scenarios with options to play either the north or south offensive and a complete campaign lasting 121 turns.
- A master map measuring approximately 380 by 300 kilometers.
- Over 4,700 units represent the German and Soviet forces.
Game features include:
- Game scale is 1 hex = 1 km, 1 turn = 2 hours, with battalion and company size units.
- Order-of-Battle and Scenario Editors which allow players to customize the game.
- Sub-map feature allows the main map to be "chopped" up into smaller segments for custom scenario creation.
- Multiple play options including play against the computer AI, Play by E-mail (PBEM), LAN & Internet "live" play, and two player hot seat.
New Gold features include:
- An additional 17 scenarios from the Volcano Man mods making 35 in total. These include both historical and hypothetical scenarios.
- All new game graphics including terrain, in game counters and 2D & 3D units as well as the toolbar icons.
- All new sounds.
- Game enhancements include revised disruption movement and reinforcement ‘place all’ function from the First World War Campaign series.
Here are some files from the game:
- Designer Notes (PDF file)
- Scenario Design: Glenn Saunders, Dave 'Blackie' Blackburn and Ed “Volcano Man” Williams
- Research: "Wig" Graves, Mike Avanzini, and Greg Smith
- Playtesters: Panzergruppe Saunders
- Gold Release: David Freer with Wargame Design Studio
System RequirementsWindows Vista, 7, 8, or 10
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
This wargame is for sale at The John Tiller Software Store