The Seven Years War
When the War of the Austrian Succession ended, all Europe knew that the peace would not last long. Austria was hungry to regain Silesia, France and Britain were still rivals all around the world, and Russia was growing stronger, ready to make its big debut in the affairs of Central Europe.
Feeling the pressure of an alliance between France, Austria and Russia, Frederick decided to strike first, invading Saxony in the fall of 1756, hoping to put himself in position to bring a rapid victory in spring of 1757. His “short, decisive war” would prove to be anything but. Instead, he'd launched what has been called the “True First World War.”
The Seven Years War highlighted the military genius of not only Frederick the Great, but the less known Ferdinand of Brunswick, as he led the Anglo-German forces against France in the West. These two masters of Linear Warfare held off the enemy until a peace of exhaustion finally settled on Europe seven years later.
The Seven Years War highlights the European battles of this global war, featuring not only the battles of Frederick at places like Rossbach, Leuthen and Zorndorf, but also Ferdinand's battles such as Minden and Bergen.
- 78 stand alone scenarios, 26 specifically scripted for play against the A/I.
- 3 campaigns.
- A wide sampling of battles from small to large actions.
- 25 unique maps ranging in size from 4100 hexes to 32,000 hexes providing ample ground for scenario designers to create their own actions.
Game features include:
- Phase or Turn-based play with 15 minute turns.
- Three levels of 2D views of the battlefield, and two levels of 3D.
- Units include infantry, cavalry, artillery, leaders, and supply wagons.
- Command, Fatigue, Supply, and Terrain rules all affect game play.
The Musket and Pike game engine provides multiple play options including play against the computer AI, Play by E-mail (PBEM), LAN & Internet "live" play, and two player hotseat.
- New 2D Magnified view
- New Sub-map editor
- Melee across a hexside or into a hex that would cause Disorder results in the same Melee penalty as if the unit was Disordered
- Command Ranges now apply to all organizations including Corps, Wing,and Army
- Per-nation Melee modifiers now apply to units attacking in Column
- Units defending in Melee fire at 100% fire
- Detached units can not initiate melee
- Added option for playing background sounds instead of music
- A/I adjustments
- Game Coordinator: Rich Hamilton
- Scenario Designer: Gary McClellan
- Scenario Maps: Nick Bell
- Artist: Jan “Jison” Johnansson, Steve Trauth
- Graphics Coordinator: Steve Trauth
- Historical Research: Frederic Aubert
- Playtesters: Rich White, Steve Trauth, Atle Jenssen, Set Karlsson, Jim Owczarski, Doug Miller, Mike Cox, Cris Ash, Ray Liberto, Claes Melbro, Klaus Kuhlmann
System RequirementsWindows Vista, 7, 8, or 10
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
This wargame is for sale at The John Tiller Software Store