Minsk '44 Gold
In June of 1944 Adolf Hitler was expecting the coming Soviet summer offensive to be launched against the German front line south of the Pripet Marshes. Instead, Stalin unleashed a massive attack on the very cornerstone of the German Army--Army Group Center which held a massive salient to the north. This was Operation BAGRATION, an all-out offensive to crush Army Group Center, concentrating armor, artillery and aircraft. The Red Army quickly broke through the thinly held German lines and encircled the fortified cities of Vitebsk, Orsha, Mogilev, and Bobruysk. Then the Soviet tank and mechanized formations swept on westwards towards the very heart of the Third Reich. Taken by surprise, the majority of the German Fourth and Ninth Armies were trapped between Minsk and the Berezina River. It was a catastrophic defeat, destroying 28 of 34 German divisions from Army Group Center's order of battle. So complete was the Soviet victory that five weeks later the Red Army was on the banks of the Vistula River and the borders of East Prussia.
- 42 scenarios including the main Soviet assault launched on 23 June in the north and 24 June in the south.
- The campaign scenario covers the first thirteen days of the offensive and breakthrough until the time the offensive lost momentum.
- Smaller scenarios cover specific actions and "what if" situations.
Game features include:
- Game scale is 1 hex = 1 km, 1 turn = 2 hours, with battalion and company size units.
- Order-of-Battle and Scenario Editors which allow players to customize the game.
- Sub-map feature allows the main map to be "chopped" up into smaller segments for custom scenario creation.
- Multiple play options including play against the computer AI, Play by E-mail (PBEM), LAN & Internet "live" play, and two player hot seat.
New Gold features include:
- An additional 42 new scenarios. 41 are from the Ed ‘Volcano Man’ William’s Alternate mod and a brand new deeply researched campaign game by Brian Jennings making 84 in total. These include both historical and hypothetical scenarios.
- All new game graphics including terrain, in game counters and 2D & 3D units as well as the toolbar icons.
- All new sounds.
- Game enhancements include revised disruption movement and reinforcement ‘place all’ function from the First World War Campaign series.
Here are some files from the game:
- Designer Notes (PDF file)
These images were generated using the "snapshot" feature of the main program and show the full campaign game:
- Scenario Design and Game Concept: Glenn Saunders, Dave Blackburn, Ed “Volcano Man” Williams and Brian Jennings
- Order of Battle Research: Mike Avanzini
- Playtesters: Panzergruppe Saunders
- Gold Release: David Freer with Wargame Design Studio
System RequirementsWindows Vista, 7, 8, or 10
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
This wargame is for sale at The John Tiller Software Store