For six months following its surprise attack on the American fleet at Pearl Harbor, the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) had dominated the war in the Pacific. But 4 June 1942 would see the tide turn, with three US Navy (USN) aircraft carriers waiting in ambush for the IJN near a tiny atoll whose name would become immortalized in history: Midway.
By the end of that day, the Japanese would lose four fleet carriers, and the course of the war would drastically change.
Naval Campaigns: Midway covers not only this action but also other major carrier battles of World War Two, including Midway, Pearl Harbor, Coral Sea, Eastern Solomons, Santa Cruz and Philippine Sea.
Can you, as the fleet commander, sail your fleet and fly your air forces to victory, or will you be plunged beneath the deep blue waves never to be heard from again?
- 36 scenarios ranging from small 10 minute actions covering a specific air attack to 12+ hour scenarios covering full fleet actions with dozens of ships and hundreds of aircraft.
- Scenarios include the entire battle of Midway as well as specific actions, such as attacks on individual carriers and recreations of each attacking wave of aircraft.
- A "what if" scenario based on the Coral Sea action not having been fought a month earlier.
- In addition to Midway, the game also includes the historical carrier battles of the Eastern Solomons, Santa Cruz and the Philippine Sea, as well as a hypothetical IJN-USN confrontation at Pearl Harbor.
- Midway uses a real-time game engine that can be run from 1x to 10x real-time
- Players can play each scenario against the computer A/I or using network play.
- The game engine implements the full range of naval combat from surface ships, to aircraft carriers, and submarines.
- A Scenario Editor and Order of Battle Editor are included so that players can design their own scenarios of historical or hypothetical situations.
- Shore terrain is included for the Midway atoll, the Hawaiian Islands, and several other Pacific islands that influenced the carrier battles of World War II in the Pacific.
Here are some files from the game:
- Game Coordinator: Rich Hamilton
- Scenario Designers: Gary McClellan, John Tiller, Pat Covich
- Artist: Joe Amoral
- Additional Graphics: Julia Tiller
- Music: Thomas Hook
- Additional AI Programming: John Rushing and Cara Gall
- Playtesters: Mike Cox, Dennis Suttman, George Miller, Mark Brien, Craig Forrest.
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
This wargame is for sale at The John Tiller Software Store