Mission Types can be assigned to flights in a scenario to establish the role of the flight in the scenario and to affect the way it will behave when the scenario is run under AI control.
There are 10 possible missions that a flight can have:
- No Mission – This defines that there is no specific mission assigned to the flight.
- Air Superiority Mission – This mission is associated with flights that should intercept enemy flights and engage them in air-to-air combat.
- Air Refueling Mission – This mission is assigned to aircraft that can provide refueling.
- Info Operations Mission – This mission is associated with stand-off jamming aircraft, aircraft that can dispense chaff, and unmanned drones that are designed to deceive the enemy.
- Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) Mission – This mission is associated with helicopters and aircraft that can make water landings to rescue downed airmen. It is also associated with the escort aircraft that accompany these.
- Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses (SEAD) Mission – This mission is associated with aircraft that are tasked with attacking enemy air defenses such as SAM sites and AAA locations.
- Strike Mission – This mission is associated with flights that are intended to bomb or otherwise attack ground targets.
- Intelligence, Surveillance, and Recon (ISR) Mission – This mission is associated with recon aircraft or those with a ELINT capability.
- Airlift Mission – This mission is associated with carrying cargo or passengers.
- ASW Mission – This mission is associated with anti-submarine warfare.
Using the Missions option of the View menu, it is possible to display a graphical representation of the assigned mission for each flight.
Air Superiority (Blue)
Air Refueling (Yellow)
Info Operations (Purple)
The mission type of a particular flight has two effects in the game:
- It serves as an organizational feature for the player to help them keep track of roles and responsibilities for the flights under their control.
- It is used by the AI when a flight is under AI control to make decisions about how the flight should be used in the scenario.